Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Review: Killer Frost (Mythos Academy #6) by Jennifer Estep


I’ve battled the Reapers of Chaos before–and survived. But this time I have a Bad, Bad Feeling it’s going to be a fight to the death … most likely mine.

Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic–and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos. I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.

Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps. This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good … or I am.

~A copy was provided by Kensington for review~

I am honestly a huge fan of Jennifer Estep, and have been since I first started reading the series. What I fell in love with first was the romance between Logan and Gwen, but the mythology and the Reapers grew on me too. Admittedly, the romance between the two main characters has been getting less and less interesting after each book - though it peaked in the last novel - and I probably wouldn't have read this had it not been for the fact that I received an ARC for it. I was surprised though when it wasn't the romance, but the thought of the final battle that kept me reading.

What's interesting is that it took me until the final book in the series to realize that these books really are for younger readers, maybe for someone nearing the end of middle school. This doesn't affect my perception of the novel in any way; it was just weird that I never noticed until now. Going off on a a bit of a tangent, this book seemed to focus mostly and friendship, and the power of love (though not really the romantic kind). It kind of reminded me of Harry Potter, and how Dumbledore always said that love is the strongest magic of all, and that it's how Harry's mother protected Harry, et cetera et cetera.

Killer Frost is a pretty quick read and the plot progresses quickly. Yes, there are deaths in this book, and revealed identities, so anyone who has kept up with the series this far might as well finish the book, settle their curiosity, and be done with the Gwen chronicles. I mean, that's why I read the book. I'm getting off track though. My favorite part of the novel was, believe it or not, the romance between Nickamedes and a certain other well-known character. Their blossoming romance was adorable, and it helped that I have a certain fondness for those two characters even before their relationship. I can totally see myself reading this book in Nickamedes's POV...I'd love to read the romance firsthand, and I'd really like to know what goes on in that (probably sappy) head of his.

I really want to laud Jennifer on her ending, the grand finale, as it may be. Though I had a guess on who would win the Chaos War, exactly how the ending came about was a complete surprise. Now that I think about it, Killer Frost's ending was again similar to that of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I won't give it all away, but it consisted of Gwen, Nike, and Loki in some place that - to my mind anyways - resembled the dimension Harry entered after he "died". It's funny how I didn't see these similarities until now.

As this is the final book in a 6 book series, it's kind of difficult to write a meaningful review on it. Especially for this particular collection of books, since they're all so similar. They just blur together in my head. But after making all the connections that I did, I think it would be a good idea to recommend this book to fans of Harry Potter. Not only is the content similar, but I feel like the age group is about the same as well. I'm sure there are those of you who have never heard of this series, let alone read it. If so, I'd recommend you to check out the first book. It was by far my favorite in the series, and consists of all the best parts of a YA novel: a hot, warrior dude (or Logan freaking Quinn, as he is commonly known), mystical gods and goddesses, a very violent, talking sword, and of course, gypsy powers.

I've had a good two to three years with Gwen, but I agree with Jennifer: it's about time we go our separate ways. Besides, our Gypsy Girl deserves a break after saving (or not saving) the world;)
Title: Killer Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Released February 25, 2014
Publisher: Kensington Books
Genre: YA, Romance, Mythology

1 comment:

  1. Huh seems like a lot of similarities to HP. That can either be good or bad for me. It does sound like a series I would like though and actually do own books 1-3, and now that the series is over I can binge read the whole thing which is how I love my series! >.< Great review! I also hate writing reviews for book 2-3, nevermind 6!

    ReplyDelete