Sunday, February 9, 2014

Movie Review: The Lego Movie (2014)


An ordinary LEGO minifigure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil LEGO tyrant from gluing the universe together.

Personally, this isn't a movie I would have chosen to watch voluntarily when there are so many other new movies out there more my type - like VA and Muppets: Most Wanted - but with a stubborn little brother like mine, I don't always get my way. However, it's been a while since I've read a book or watched a movie (becuse of my new TVD addiction as well as an upcoming ACT), so I decided a review would make my experience worth something.

After watching several advertisements for the movie prior to going to the theaters, I felt the film wasn't for me, but also that it wouldn't be the worst movie to watch. After viewing, I feel pretty much the same way. I realized this movie was for kids, but only after sitting in my seat did I realize exactly how small the kids who this movie was geared toward were. Besides my brother, everyone seemed below the age of 10! Not very inspiring. 

If you think that's bad, the beginning of the movie was worse. My first impression was that it was even more boring than all those TV shows on Cartoon Network. Slowly though, the main characters were introduced and the plot started building up. The romance was definitely PG, but also cute. I found it hilarious that Batman was a part of the love triangle (if you can call it that). The comedy was the main thing going for this movie, and the humor is the same Lego humor you find in all their video games. Needless to say, Batman was an idiot and Dumbledore had a really stupid, but funny, voice. The incorporation of random well-known characters is one of the things that made the film enjoyable.

The Lego Movie got better as it went on, and the ending had a twist that I thought was amazing. I'm not one for morals, but this movie definitely had one - a really great one according to my dad. My personal favorite part of the movie was the last few seconds where some Lego Duplo characters got introduced. I wouldn't recommend going to the movies to watch this, unless you have a crazy obsession for everything and anything Lego brand. I realize this isn't a fair review since I'm a teenager, but I'm willing to bet so are many of my readers.

That being said, this movie was the most popular this weekend and already brought in $87,210,000. Trust me, I was very surprised when that little bit of news plopped into my ears. I haven't found many negative reviews for the movie, though the recommended age group for the film is 6+. I'm not judging the people who loved the movie; it's just a fact. Still, in the end, I stand with my original outlook: this isn't a movie I'd ever talk too excitedly about with my friends, but a toddler or two might find me telling them that they should go watch it.
Movie: The Lego Movie
Released February 7, 2014
Director: Chris Miller & Phil Lord
MPAA Rating: PG
Screenplay: Chris Miller & Phil Lord
Run Time: 100 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment