Sunday, January 19, 2014

Movie Review: Intolerable Cruelty (2003)


Miles Massey, a prominent Los Angeles divorce attorney has everything--and in some cases, two of everything. Despite his impressive client list, a formidable win record, the respect of his peers and an ironclad contract (the Massey pre-nup) named after him, he's reached a crossroads in his life. Sated on success, boredom has set in and he's looking for new challenges. All that changes when Miles meets his match in the devastating Marylin Rexroth. Marylin is the soon-to-be ex-wife of his client Rex Rexroth, a wealthy real estate developer and habitual philanderer. With the help of hard charging private investigator Gus Petch, she has Rex nailed and is looking forward to the financial independence a successful divorce will bring. But thanks to Miles' considerable skills, she ends up with nothing. Not to be outdone, Marylin schemes to get even and as part of her plan, quickly marries oil tycoon Howard Doyle. Miles and his unflappable associate, Wrigley, unwittingly dig themselves in deeper and deeper as they go head-to-head with Marylin. Underhanded tactics, deceptions and an undeniable attraction escalate as Marylin and Miles square off in this classic battle of the sexes.
~Sujit R. Varma

Since I was sorely lacking in the number of books I read last week, and because I really didn't feel like starting a book at 1:00 in the morning, I did some researching and found this movie. I'm ashamed to admit it, but before watching this movie, I had no clue who George Clooney was. Yes, I know, I apparently live in my own little bubble. I've heard his name here and there, and it was when I finally took the time to search him up on Google that I was introduced to this movie. I felt like this movie would be the perfect present to treat myself to since I successfully studied for AP Bio for the first time since the last final! Intolerable Cruelty was exactly what I'd needed: nothing too deep or slow-going, but something that would knock me off my feet (which is kind of impossible since I was in bed while watching this) and make me laugh. And just so you're forewarned, please take note that this movie is completely unrealistic, and all the characters are just a bit touched in the head (in my opinion) 0-0

I have one question. Is George Clooney always obsessed with his teeth or is it just this movie? I feel like he could make it a trademark thing for himself. Anyways, I'd say this movie had tons of quirks, but in reality, the entire thing was a quirk. The "romance" was whirl-wind and not at all likely to happen outside of this movie, considering that Miles was his usual (I'm guessing here) crazy self, and Marylin was a woman intent on getting a rich husband, "nailing his ass", and walking away with a divorce and all his money. Smart woman, but kind of creepy. And Catherine's voice. I'm not quite sure what I think about it, though her tone and even her accent were perfect for her character. It completely fits the intelligent, seductive, manipulating woman she's portrayed as.

If I had to compare this to any movie at all, it would have to be Laws of Attraction. Sure, that movie was better - and not only because 007 was in it - but the whole court thing was similar. The romance in the before mentioned movie was more relate-able and honest and adorable, while I can't help viewing the couple in this movie as rich people who are so bored with life that they need the additional factor of falling in love with the opposite gender crazy person to spice it up. So my recommendation is, if you're looking for a light romcom to make you laugh, watch this. If you want to watch something that resembles a Julie James book (yes!), watch the Pierce Brosnan movie.

While I'm bloated with hundreds of miscellaneous emotions from watching this movie, I'm not exactly sure what I feel about it. The pacing was really quick and made the movie seem short. The theme of the film was great, but it didn't have those little details I like so much. I think that was done purposefully though. About two-thirds into the movie, I was devastated by how things turned out, and then all of the sudden, the plot twisted. Then you settle down...and there's another plot twist. You'd think the plot twists would be over by that point, but no, Mr. Wheezy Murderer has to get into it. Those red herrings near the end of Intolerable Cruelty (great name by the way) were the bane of my laughter. The ending was really cute, and it was nice how the Massey pre-nup had a huge symbolic role throughout the movie; I guess classics aren't the only type of media one can analyze. To get to the point, this was one heck of a movie that definitely made my night.
Movie: Intolerable Cruelty
Released October 10, 2003
Director: Joel & Ethan Coen
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Screenplay: Robert Ramsey, Matthew Stone, etc.
Run Time: 100 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment