Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Review: His to Possess (His to Possess #1) by Opal Carew


Jessica’s life was in ruins…until she met him.

Standing in the rain feeling lost in a new city, with no job and no prospects, she’s about to give up. Until Dane Rainier pulls up in his limo and offers her a ride—and sweeps her into the life of her dreams. Now she has a high-powered job and is having the best sex of her life, exploring her submissive side under the masterful hand of a gorgeous billionaire.

But there’s a part of her that’s still holding back. Because the truth is, she’s never gotten over her ex-boyfriend Storm. A heavily muscled, motorcycle-riding rock musician, Storm couldn’t be any more different from Dane… and she just can’t get him out of her head.

Now Storm is about to reappear and turn her whole world upside down. Both Dane and Storm make her body burn to be possessed, but will her indecisive heart cost her the love of both men?

~A copy was received from St. Martin's Press for review~

First off, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas Eve. I myself can't wait for tomorrow morning (or 12:01) so I can open my presents! I know what all but 2 of them are and those unknown 2 are driving me crazy. I guess I'll just have to wait...impatiently;) So how are all your holidays going? I'd love to hear!

Back to the review. So I was at this Christmas party a few days ago and was completely bored out of my mind. Usually we're barely invited anywhere and then suddenly all these people want us coming to their houses. Yeah. No thanks. But my parents thought differently and dragged me and my brother all the way to this stranger's house. An hour or two in, I gave in to my yearning to actually do something useful instead of just sitting there, and so I chose to read a book off of my waiting list. This was the shortest so I read and finished it at the same party.

The novella was pretty standard, I guess. For some reason, these sorts of novellas are always the same. Notice I didn't say similar, but THE SAME. There's a lost, lonely girl. A hot billionaire. The billionaire convinces the girl to have "submissive" sex with him. And BAM, she finds out that the hot guy she just did crazy stuff with is actually her boss. Like we didn't see that coming about a billion pages ago *snort*. Please excuse my cynicism and spoiler, but come on! I bet half of you thought that just by looking at the cover.

Just so you know, there's no BDSM handcuff style or anything, so you can thank or not-thank the author for that. Personally, I thought this book was really shallow, and that there was no depth to anything. The book was so fake it was almost funny, but I don't know whether it was because of that or the terrible main character that made me take this book none too seriously. It's just, it seemed Jessica had no thoughts of her own. And by her own admission, she would have thrown herself back into Storm's arms even though he dumped her. I just don't like weak characters like her. And obviously, don't read this if you hate Fifty Shades of Grey. Why would you even do that to yourself?

I don't want to be mean though. I'm sure plenty of people enjoy a super short, not-so-sweet, kind of boring, billionaire-boring girl story. Don't ask me who though, because I don't know anyone. It's almost Christmas though, and I don't want to get on Santa's naughty list, so....the cover of this book is actually pretty eye-catching:) And yes, I do mean that. Snarkiness aside, taking a look at this book as a novella, the book wasn't terrible, and it'll probably be more interesting when Storm makes an appearance. I won't be continuing this series (unless I'm at another boring Christmas party), but let me just get this out there: when deciding between Storm and Dane, I have to say that I'll go Team Dane. Even though he seems kind of stuffy, he's obviously the better option.
Title: His to Possess
Author: Opal Carew
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Released December 24, 2013
Genre: Erotica, Romance

No comments:

Post a Comment